We never outgrow the love for certain things – Like cricket matches, train journeys, maa –ki- haath ka- khaana , childhood crushes, rainy days and street food!
The smell of popcorn, the stickiness of cotton candy and the thrill of hearing the bell of the kulfi-wala or the voice of the kachori seller brought much happiness during childhood. And happiness rebound when one discovers urban lanes bustling with our forever-favourite street-foods.
Bangalore’s food map is lineated by food-streets that serve one’s stomach & soul alike. The popular street food culture has a loyal following as its less wait, speedy service and easy on the pocket.
EventsHigh dishes out two of the most happening food-streets- Take the food trail and taste away to happiness!
Pointers: Group is good, Try small- Try all, Stroll, Don’t Waste and Carry your own Water!
VV Puram (Thindi Beedhi) – Near Sajjan Rao Circle
The street comes alive after 6 every evening like a festival by itself. A haven for any street-food lover, this aromatic street is an absolute gastronomic paradise. Over 20 food stalls spread over less than 150 m here serve a variety of South Indian, North Indian and Chinese delicacies – All Vegetarian!
- Start at the legendary VB Bakery – have a honey-cake or congress bun.
- Step out for a cutlet bread pakora or Rasgulla Chaat or Curd Kodu Bele
- The Bhajji shop’s Mirchi bhajji or potato bonda would be next
- Fresh puran poli and coconut holige would provide a sweet balance
- Savour the South-Indian fair with- Akki rotti, Puliyogare or paddus, Avarekalu Dosa
- Slurp up the Gulkand with Ice cream!
Food Street, Koramangala – Near Jyothi Nivas College
Take a walk down Jyoti Nivas College Road in 5th Block, Koramangala and you’d be spoiled for choice. This one-way road is lined with an array of restaurants that cater to every taste and every budget.
From Lebanese and Mexican to Persian, Tibetan, Mediterannean, Chettinad and Lucknowi the usual suspects Chinese-Punjabi-Continental.
The culinary journey begins with
- Sukh Sagar followed by Bon South & Nagarjuna for a taste of South
- Empire for Biriyanis,
- Buff Buffet & Sultans of Spice for a good buffet,
- Hunan for Pan Asian Delicacies,
- Chianti for Italian innovations ,
- Kobe’s Sizzlers & California Pizza Kitchen for fun food
- And the Om Made Cafe , Barista and Java City for caffeine shots & short eats.
Big names aside, student favorites include
- Lazeez for the Kokatta Rolls
- Khawa Karpo for Tibetan Touch
- Cup O Joe & A Hole Lot of Love , Hatti Kaapi
- Berry’d Alive for desserts
- Juice Junction for thirst quenchers
- Meghana Foods & Mani’s Dum Biriyani for Biriyani
- Gilly’s Restobar
- Truffles for their kick ass burgers
- and California Burrito.
Wait not to visit these streets as every street has hidden surprises or local favourites.
Pani Poori , Momos-Manchurian , Sandwiches and the 99 Varieties Dosa carts are yours to conquer!